Rathlin Island
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

RISE & Frances Black on Rathlin

Go down

RISE & Frances Black on Rathlin Empty RISE & Frances Black on Rathlin

Post  Rathlin Info Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:19 am

IRISH singing star Frances Black is seeking to open a Rathlin Island-based retreat centre for the families of people with addictions.
Ms Black, whose father was born on the island, was in Ballycastle last week to help launch a Gala Evening which will be held in the Marine Hotel in the town to support the RISE Foundation charity.
Ms Black founded the charity which already does work in Dublin and it is understood the plan is for the families of people suffering from addiction to be able to get away from it all in the calm surroundings of Rathlin, and possibly be based in the area of the East Lighthouse on the island which is famous as the site of the sending of the world's first commercial radio signal by Marconi.
Frances Black, who will be the Guest Speaker at the Gala Evening in May, gave a brief overview of what inspired her to found this charity.
She said: "My father came from Rathlin Island and we spent all our summers there as children. I have wonderful childhood memories and I fell in love with Rathlin and its people at a very early age. I believe it is one of the most beautiful places in the world. The people are warm and friendly and I have always considered Rathlin my spiritual home. The minute I step off the boat and on to the island I immediately feel all the stresses and strains of life leave me.
"The inspiration for the RISE Foundation came from my own journey from addiction to recovery and then returning to education to qualify as an addiction counsellor and eventually working in The Rutland Treatment Centre.
"While working in The Rutland I encountered many family members of people in treatment who were heartbroken by their loved ones' addiction. I realised then that there was very little support available for families who wanted to learn about addiction and the effect it has on their loved ones.
"The RISE Foundation aims to provide education, awareness and support for families with loved ones in addiction. We aim to do this by holding 5 day residential programmes for families and education workshops for community workers on Rathlin Island.
"The proposed project would develop programmes aimed at educating those members of the community at the front line (e.g. teachers, health workers, community workers) to recognise the dangers and signs of addiction. I believe Rathlin is a haven of hope, healing and serenity."
Moyle District Council Chairperson, Cllr Cara McShane, and Ballycastle Chamber of Commerce will host a Gala Evening in support of the RISE Foundation in the Marine Hotel, Ballycastle, on Saturday 1st May.
Promotion of the fundraising event was launched in the Mayor's Parlour, with one of Ireland's best-loved singers, Frances Black, addressing the meeting. Frances Black will be Guest Speaker at the fund-raising May Ball.
Cllr Cara McShane, said: "While this is a unique event in Moyle, Chairpersons and Mayors in most other Councils host a Charity Ball to raise funds for a Charity of their choice, prior to their end of term.
"Given the growing culture of addiction within Irish society, I wanted to do something to raise awareness and show my support for an organisation which helps families of people with addiction.
"The RISE (Recovery in a Safe Environment) Foundation, set-up by well-known singer and song-writer, Frances Black, was a fitting and most appropriate charity. Frances has a particular love and passion for this part of the world, especially Rathlin Island."
Chairperson of Ballycastle Chamber of Commerce, Paul Cochrane, added: "In continued support with Moyle District Council, the Chamber of Commerce is delighted to work together in supporting this project. As part of the Chamber's Action Plan, community and social support is extremely important within our organisation.
"Many businesses support local charities, and we are very excited to get behind this worthwhile cause.
"Everyone will know someone who has an addiction and we know the impact that addiction has on families.
"The Gala Evening will be a great social occasion while raising money for a much-needed charity. It also shows that positive partnership benefits the entire community."
The organisers believe the Gala Evening is sure to be a major success within the District. Tickets for the event are available from the following outlets: Moyle District Council, P.C Electrics, McLister's Costcutters, McCaughan's Chemist (Ballycastle) and Sheep Island View Hostel, Ballintoy.
The RISE Foundation is a registered Charity set up to build a professional education, awareness and service delivery organisation focused on the family of those in addiction to the highest independent professional evaluated standards.

Last edited by Rathlin Info on Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:33 am; edited 1 time in total

Rathlin Info
Admin

https://rathlin.rpg-board.net

Back to top Go down

RISE & Frances Black on Rathlin Empty Summer 2010 Newsletter

Post  Rathlin Info Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:20 am

Can be viewed HERE , takes a few mins to download

Rathlin Info
Admin

https://rathlin.rpg-board.net

Back to top Go down

RISE & Frances Black on Rathlin Empty RISE foundation newsletter